Friday, December 4, 2015

Stepping Up

Please welcome, one last time, Recruit Sarah. She and her classmates graduate on December 10th. Sixteen weeks of field training is ahead for the Lakewood Recruits. Successful completion of that stage will mean they are full-fledged Agents, taking their places among the men and women who serve the city of Lakewood. It will have been ten months since they first walked into the classroom. Please join me in congratulating the Combined Regional Academy Recruit Class 2015, and wishing them well. Sergeant Greer, LPD Training Unit.


“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”   -Lao Tzu

It is with mixed feelings I write this last blog. Life at the Academy has been a constant whirlwind of information, learning, and stress. From sun up to sun down I have either been at the Academy or thinking about the Academy. After 20-plus weeks, things are finally coming to an end. I find myself spending time now thinking about how the Academy has changed me.

My civilian-to-agent makeover is best epitomized through the firearms program. I showed up to the Academy with next to no handgun experience. I’m not even sure you can count my previous interactions with this tool as “experience”: my uncle shoved a Glock into my hands and had me fire it a few times. The first day at the range started with an hour of drills without any ammunition. My hands were unconsciously shaking throughout. I had an odd mixture of excitement and fear pulsing uncontrollably through my body.

The astute instructors noticed and I was whisked away during the first break to fire off a few rounds before the rest of the recruits. They said it was to “take out my nervousness.” To me, it felt like an indication of weakness. After the first bullets flew down range, any illusions of grandeur that I might be a natural prodigy at firearms quickly evaporated. As I pulled the trigger holes appeared sporadically at least 15 inches from where I was actually aiming.

Midway through the firearms program, I had made some progress. When I fired, the holes were now starting to group closer together. The instructors often reminded me to not look at the targets of my neighbors. Many recruits had arrived at the Academy having shot a handgun for much of their lives. The instructors wanted each recruit focused on their own progress, not how they looked compared to a neighbor. This was easier said than done.

When performing drills from the 50-yard line, I was unfortunate enough to shoot next to my friend (one of those recruits who basically grew up with a gun in her hands). After firing 12 rounds down range we walked up to our targets to see how we did.

On my friend’s silhouette, eight headshots. Headshots. From 50 yards. Eight of them. Like it was nothing. I really should never have looked.

Then there was my target. It appeared as if I had fired a shotgun from five yards away. Holes were everywhere, with next to no pattern. Next came feedback from our instructors. I will never forget one of the range sergeants complementing my friend on her excellent silhouette (she really is a tremendous shooter). When he looked at my target, his initial comment revolved around my hits being so spread out he had no idea what to say to even begin to help. As he walked away, he turned and added, “but not bad for a math teacher.”

Before anyone gets the wrong idea… I came to law enforcement after several years teaching math. I love teaching. I love math. There is, believe it or not, a lot of math in law enforcement. There are also a lot of calculated mind games, meant to help us shift our self-perceptions.

 But, yikes. I had made progress, but the experience left me highly motivated to be more than just a math teacher with a gun.  I had more work to do on my transition from civilian to cop.

Fast-forward a few months later to the Top Gun competition and there stands a recruit unrecognizable from the first. I had spent hours practicing drills at home. I even managed to weasel my way into extra time at the range. I knew that the best way to improve was to practice constantly AND get as much time with the fantastic instructors as possible.

Now the moment I’d been waiting for: the Top Gun competition used to determine the best shooter in the recruit class. My hands were now steady, my mind calm and confident at the thought of firing a gun. At the sound of the beep, I moved with fluidity only repetition can foster. My gun was out of the holster and shots down range before my competitor each time.  The delightful sound of a bullet hitting steel confidently met my ear round after round.

I wish I could finish this story with a big, “I won!” I didn’t win the competition, but I did surprise myself. I was the last female recruit standing as well as one of the last from Lakewood.

My life at range is much like my experience through the Academy. There have been a lot of things I’ve been awful at. Yet, taught by content experts, I have been given the opportunity to study, learn, practice, prepare, fail, and succeed. The hard work I put in to every course, every drill, every minute has paid off in the end. I exit feeling more confident in my abilities than I ever thought possible. I am self-assured and competent with the many tools of my profession, knowing when and how to use them and, equally important, when not to.

Leaving the Academy, I know I have come so far and relished many accomplishments. Yet, in reality, I recognize that I have only taken the first step in my “journey of a thousand miles.” The Academy was only a brief beginning.

Now it is time to learn how to run in Field Training. Heaven help the Field Trainers (or at least whomever is tasked with me).

No comments:

Post a Comment