Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Journey West


Please welcome Recruit Louis. He is a "Lateral" police recruit, which means he worked a minimum of three years for another police department - this one fairly big and well known. Additional requirements are placed on laterals, including the expectation that they arrive already exhibiting the high standards expected of a Lakewood Agent.

I remember it clearly. The hard stares, the loud shouts of “Walk faster! No Talking! Sit down! Don’t move!” I sat in an ill-fitting suit, surrounded by nearly 800 others who were nervous, just like I was. “Sign here, and here, and here, and here,” they said, as I flipped the pages and inscribed a signature over and over again. Don’t move now, stay awake, sit up straight; don’t think about the itchy tie and dress shirt around your neck – this runs over and over in my mind. We were informed by staff that one among us refused to come back after lunch on that very first day. One had already quit, couldn’t handle the pressure. This was my first experience at the Academy of the New York City Police Department.

My name is Recruit Louis, and I am one of three lateral hires for the Lakewood Police Department. Prior to this I was a Patrol Officer for the NYPD. I was assigned to a precinct in Harlem, one of the more crime ridden areas of New York City, as a part of Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly’s statically-driven “Operation: Impact.” It was an incredible experience. Learning to “swim” there was like being thrown into the deep end of a wave pool during a thunderstorm. It was a hard lesson and I learned fast because I had to. I ran, I fought ‘bad guys’, I made arrests, I did paperwork, and I drank a lot of coffee (large, with milk and a shot of espresso for good measure). I made plans for my days off only to be told, on my “Friday”, that I would be working 16 hours or more on my days off. A protest started involving thousands of people who were taking over the streets. It looked like a full stadium was leaving a Bronco’s game all at once, but it was angry. They were shouting and screaming against the police. This went on for weeks.  I missed my first Christmas with my new wife.

 It was a huge culture shock to someone like me who didn’t grow up in a city and who, before working for the NYPD, spent the previous 7 years as a Park Ranger for the National Park Service. Most recently I worked for the Great Sand Dunes National Park in southern Colorado (where I fell in love with this state and met an amazing Colorado native woman, who is now my wife).

The NYPD was a lot of fun…at times. I made good friends and saw amazing and interesting things. I was PAID TIME AND A HALF to ring in the New Year in Time Square. However, I started to miss something--Nature. I had traded sunset vistas from the tops of mountains for sunrise views from the roofs of projects. I missed seeing the stars at night. I missed hearing the swish of a fresh breeze in the grass. I missed trees not surrounded by concrete. After a lot of soul searching and conversations with my wife, I decided to start my search for a new department. I resolved, as so many had done before me; to “go west young man.” I sought a department that respected and valued its officers. I would find an organization where there is respect both given to, and received from, the public.

·         “Going to the mountains is going home.” – John Muir

“I would like to offer you a conditional offer with Lakewood Police department. We have a certain culture here and we hope you will fit.” Almost a year after going through the selection process I actually heard the words I never thought would come. I was offered one of the very few openings available. I packed the car and my wife and I started the drive across the country. In the rear view mirror, the lights of “the City” faded. Ahead of us was nearly 2,000 miles of interstate, leading to the base of the Rockies.

“Welcome to Lakewood.” I was greeted my first day with an outstretched hand. “I’ll show you around our little shop.” Yes, I will fit in here just fine.

Touring Lakewood’s Police Department and the main headquarters’ offices, I was greeted time and again with a smile, a handshake and a genuine welcome. My time so far in the Academy has been wonderful. The staff goes above and beyond for the Recruits. Help is always given, if needed. It is still a Police Academy. “Motivation” here is provided, at times, through some sort of physical activity. The demand for professionalism and respect is continuously taught and reinforced. We are expected to hold ourselves to a high standard regardless of if the staff is present or if their backs are turned. The Academy Staff seem to be more like leaders and mentors than drill sergeants. They focus on respect, family, and community. I am starting to understand “the Lakewood culture” and I feel aligned with it. It is motivated by the desire to improve the community. The integrity of the individuals who work for the Police Department, the Academy, and the City of Lakewood is the foundation.

I know I’m going to miss a few more holidays. There will be short notice overtime; there will be extra shifts that nobody else wants and very cold foot posts keeping a crime scene secure. I’m a rookie here, its part of the deal.  Most importantly, the sunrise will always shine on the mountains.

I am excited to work with you and for you. I found my place. I found my home. Thank you to the whole Lakewood Family, I will do my best to make you proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment